“Sierra Leone is one of the countries with the highest maternal, newborn, and child mortality rates, as well as adolescent fertility rate globally.”
– WHO 2017
Our First Lady set the tone of the meeting by saying, children and mothers are dying in Sierra Leone.
The team from Moscow said at present, teenage birth in Moscow was under 300. Their approach has always being a multi-dimensional approach combining medical, social and govt policy. The city have centres were mothers can live up to 3 years.
First Lady stated that , Sierra Leone went through 10 years of civil war, and recently lost most of our doctors to the Ebola Virus in 2014. She recalled that Russian doctors were available in in Sierra Leone about 20yrs ago, but that is no longer the case.
The team from Moscow indicated that Sierra Leone has allocation for 13 students to study in Moscow. In dealing with the long time it takes to train Doctors, they proffered a solution in what they call “Secondary Medical Training” which lasts 3 years. It is important to note they are not Doctors. “Secondary Medical Training” might run alongside training doctors.
For an objective solution to Sierra Leone, the team from Moscow suggested:
1. Building very strong policy.
2. Using Mass media to create awareness and change the mentality of the populace.
3. There should be experts in various areas to come together to design a workable solution.
Our First Lady said the quota for students to be trained should be increased significantly from 13. The First Lady indicated that Sierra Leone has to design a new model that will go beyond rhetoric, and be very practical.
The team from Moscow, agreed to sending specialists to also train health professionals in Sierra Leone, in specific areas of immediate need. Building a teaching hospital will be a great step in that direction. The Moscow team, said their training is as practical as possible.
First Lady Bio stressed the need for financial support. This the team from Moscow said, based on the unique circumstance of Sierra Leone, they are ready to offer financial support. They will be waiting for formal request from the Foreign office of Sierra Leone to the govt of Russia. Our First Lady said she will contact the appropriate department within the Sierra Leone government, to work out the modalities.
Moscow govt Officials at the meeting:
1. Mukhtasarova Tatiana – First Deputy Head of the department for Health of Moscow.
2. Irina Nazarova – Chief Doctor of the Hospital named after Pletev.
3. Ismail Osmanov – Chief Doctor of the hospital named after Beshlayeva, subordinate to the Department for Health of Moscow.
4. Anton Olenev – Head of the branch of the perinatal centre of Moscow Clinic Hospital.
5. Anastasia Sibileva – Deputy Head of International relations and Protocol Division of the Department for External Economic and International Relations of Moscow.
5. Alexander Suliman – Leading specialist of International Relations and Protocol Division of the Department for External Economic and International Relations of Moscow.
Strategic Communications Division
Office of The First Lady
+232 303 68273